
It is a tough lesson. One that might be harder for some mothers, at least for me. I am so used to be able to do everything and do it right (for the most part). But, tonight Gianni reminded me why I need to step back and do just a little less. While I was going above and beyond for dinner tonight Gianni took a dive into the piano. When I heard the crunch, I knew that it couldn't be good and I immediately went into the living room with my dirty hands to investigate. Things didn't improve from there when I saw Gianni with his hands in front of his mouth dripping blood. As always, the phone was ringing and Dan wasn't home.
To make a long story short (too late, and if you get that one thank Tim Curry and a great movie called Clue) Gianni has damaged at least three of his teeth and completely out them through his upper lip. We contacted the dentist tonight, who told us that there wasn't much to be done to repair them and to call the office if there are more problems tomorrow. I will be calling in the morning to have them looked at, as two of the teeth aren't lined up properly any longer and I don't want to have any more damage done to my beautiful son's mouth.
Ugh. This is where I need to start letting go. I remember that I felt this way when Vinny broke his leg when Gianni was young. If I try to do too much, it isn't just me that will suffer. My children suffer too when I am this distracted. I have spent the last week feeling ditzy. I can't keep my head on straight. I seem to need to write everything down before I say it. Multi-tasking isn't working for me at all these days. Perhaps this is my reminder, the damage to my poor son's mouth, that I need to stop and smell the dandelions (a book on my mother's shelf all my life, but that is for another post). I need to slow down. I need to take a breath and I need to do less. I just wish I could learn this without my children being injured in the process.
Oh Noelle-- Now is such a good time to go easy on yourself, and accept the grace that comes with having three. (Right? There must be grace or how does anyone do it??) Someone told me that these days (while our kids are young) are long, but the years are short, and that's been my mantra. Long days, Short years... it helps to keep it all in perspective. Yikes. I'm thinking of you and commiserating as much as I can with only two kids. Its tough and wonderful times we've got here. 8) Hang in there! Love to you all! Keidi
ReplyDeletelove you!
ReplyDelete